Last month I was geared to get an end-to-end working version of QED, built with Xtext. The Java code generator was working fine and I had to integrate the QED library, GUI engine and JS code generation to have a new POC with Xtext.

Then, I started to think about the port to Xtext itself. It was a bumpy road to generate the Java code but I learned a lot. Besides, Xtext was designed to provide me all tooling goodies (debugging, FFI, smart editing, highlighting, LSP integration and so on). But there is work to do to get all these. I wasn’t sure I could have it easily… The end-to-end version became less attractive; even if I get it done, if debugging would never work, the Xtext investment would be close to worthless. In other words, QED would stay forever a toy language, never to be used in the real world tackling real issues.

So I changed the course of my development. Before heading to the end-to-end version right now, I started the real tooling work on QED.

The priorities are, in order: 1) debugging 2) FFI (with Java, eventually JS) 3) Standalone and Eclipse plugin releases 4) LSP integration

Out of these four, debugging is the toughest part. I worked on it the whole month. It was painful, but I am now very happy to report that it works. It was so cool to stop at breakpoints and watch variable contents. That gives the impression QED is more a real language now!

I am starting FFI now. It will still be bumpy but I also learned a lot about FFI last month and I am expecting it to work fine (for Java) during April.

The other two priorities look easy, so hopefully by the end of the month, all four should be covered.